Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Wardrobe Staples

I've been thinking a lot about furniture lately. I'm going to be moving soon, back to Chicago for grad school, and when it comes down to it I don't really have a single piece of furniture worth keeping. (If my Moonbeam counts, then that's 1).

Fashion magazines always talk about wardrobe staples, and how to build a wardrobe. Items cost money and they should be prioritized and bought accordingly. So I've come up with a guide to furniture staples. I'd love to hear what other people think. I've actually never bought an expensive piece of furniture, so I could be way off here. This is what I came up with...

A good suit is like a good couch: it shows people you are confident, sophisticated and mature.
A comfortable pair of jeans is like a comfy side chair, something you can curl up in with a book, or serves a purpose if needed.

A funky brown belt is like a vintage side table lamp. Put it on a plain table (or pair of jeans) and it makes things that much more interesting.Running shoes with arch support...yes it's obvious where I'm going here. A good mattress is underrated.
Marc Jacobs shoes remind me of fancy headboards. Expensive, unnecessary, but somehow it feels like you just won't be happy until you've got it.

I'm thinking a great bag is like art that you love. It looks good no matter which outfit (or room of the house) you pair it with and people think you are either artsy or fashionable if you do a good job picking it out.The End. More to come as I think of it!


4 comments:

Pigtown*Design said...

Very clever...

david santos said...

Hello!
Very nice work, thank you.
Have a good day

ChiGirl said...

I'm glad you guys like this, I've had this idea for awhile. Thanks!

Julie at Belle Vivir said...

I like this. It is true. Many clothes have their furnitue clon..?

P.S. Hey you can post about Cuirky art too. I am adding you to my more links roll.